A concussion is a common form of head or brain injury that causes changes in how the brain functions, leading to symptoms that can be physical, cognitive or emotional/behavioural. A concussion can occur from a direct or indirect blow to the head or body that causes the brain to move rapidly back and forth within the skull.
Ringette Ontario recognizes the increased awareness of concussions and their long-term effects and believes that prevention of Concussions is paramount to protecting the health and safety of our athletes and members.
In order to gather data on concussions and their prevalence in our sport, we ask that participants with Head injuries complete this additional form: Online Concussion Reporting/Tracking Form
The more data the RO and Ringette Canada can generate on concussions the more we can enforce change and provide a safer sport for all.
*Want to report an injury? Please complete the Ringette Ontario Sports Injury Report Form .
Concussion Policies & Tracking
Ringette Ontario – Concussion Information
- RO Concussion Policy
- RO Concussion Information Package
- RO Sports Concussion Pathway
- Code of Conduct (Concussion) – Athlete
- Code of Conduct (Concussion) – Bench Staff
- RO Athlete Concussion Medical Report Form
Ministry of Tourism, Culture & Sport – Concussion Information
Concussion Information & Resources
- SIRC “We Are Head Strong” Concussion Information
- Parachute Canada Concussion Ed App
- Ringette Canada Pre-Season Concussion Education-Sheet
- RO Concussion Emergency Action Plan Template
- CRT5 – Concussion Recognition Tool
- Concussion Awareness Training Tool (CATT)
- Concussion Facts Sheet
- Parachute – Preventing Injuries Saving Lives – Concussion FAQ and Resources
- Team Up Speak Up
Rowan’s Law Day
Date: September 25th, 2019
Rowan’s Law Day was established in 2018, and will be observed across Ontario on the last Wednesday in September each year. The purpose of Rowan’s Law Day is to increase concussion awareness in sport.
Concussion Awareness – Our Stories
Check out Joanie Collette’s story below:
Joanie of New Brunswick shares her recent experience with concussions. Read Joanie’s story here.
Check out Jessica Mezenburg’s story below:
Former ringette player, Jessica Mezenberg, shares her experience with concussions. Read Jessica’s story here.
Share Your Story!
As Rowan’s Law Day approaches, Ringette Ontario would like to provide a space for our members to share their own stories. Stories will be featured on our site on September 25th, 2019.